Monday, May 25, 2009

Re-launch

What happened during the past 9 months?

Clearly, the aim of keeping this blog up to date took an "unprecedented" turn towards the grave. Nonetheless, I have had it in the back of my mind and need to revive it for its real purpose: to use as a journal and as a window for friends and family to be aware of my fortune and misfortune while I am away for 2 years with the Peace Corps. Here is a quick account of what you may or may not have missed:

I moved to Brussels towards the end of September of '08 to take courses with L'alliance Fran├žaise with the goal of getting my French up to scratch in time for my possible acceptance into Peace Corps service towards the end of the year.

I was rejected by the Peace Corps in November '08.

I took a job as an accountant with Africalia asbl, a Belgian NGO that fund and promote African arts and culture in various African nations. I got headaches from trying to comprehend the exchange rates of the Zimbabwean Dollar (USD 1,200 : ZWD 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 at one point I believe), but the experience was enlightening and I thank the Africalia team once again.

The President of Cameroon Paul Biya and his wi...Paul Biya, president of Cameroon with his wife, Chantal.


In March of '09 I received an invitation from the Peace Corps. I was cordially invited to go to Cameroon in the capacity of a small business advisor in June of '09. I will be working in a bank somewhere in the country and within the field of micro-finance and credits. Frustratingly, not many more details were given. I will be attending pre-service training for 10 weeks, starting the moment I arrive in Cameroon. I will hopefully learn the tricks of the trade while I am there.

April and May of '09 I travel just a little bit too much. Starting with the Hague, I head out to London, Cornwall, Paris and Lisbon to see friends, take another stab at a UK driver's license and to go to a good friend's wedding. I enjoyed it all immensely and reacquainted myself with people that I have not seen in years. Towards the middle of May I headed back to Madrid to spend time with family and friends, some of which I may not see for 2 years. Hopefully I will see more in Cameroon.

It is now 2:57 am, 26th of May of 2009 and reckon that, though short, this is an appropriate update. 63 hours from now I will be on my way to Chicago to visit my American family. 11 days from now I will be on a plane to Cameroon and to new experiences, new acquaintances, new everything.

You will henceforth be hearing from me on a more regular basis. Either that or I will be receiving a lot of hate mail for not doing so.


Nick

No comments: